Friday, April 4, 2008

Food Storage?


I have been thinking a lot lately about food storage. I have heard on the news about a truckers strike. I was talking to my friend and we were talking about how a truckers strike would really affect us getting food to our local grocery stores. We depend on them to bring goods to us from all over the country. We have no idea how long a strike like that would last and I am thinking I am really not as prepared as I should be. I need some motivation to build up my food storage. I always try to go to the big case lot sales and stock up, but with the cost of everything going up it seems like you don't get nearly as much and you are spending more. It seems like everything has gone up in price. I am really looking forward to watching conference to see what the Prophets and Apostles will stress. I know that it has been stressed for a long time to get your food storage and I am glad that I do have some, but I don't think I am nearly where I need to be. It always feel really good when the storage room it full and I don't have very much room left on the shelves, but then as the days go by I take from my food storage and I forget to replace what I took. If anyone has a good idea on how to build up food storage and keep track of what you take so you can replace it let me know. Thanks!

8 comments:

Natalie♥ said...

Nichelle, I have been thinking about food storage a lot lately too. I do not have very much at all. I know a lot of people that buy food and the essentials like toilet paper, contact solution etc.. and they hang up a list in their storage room and when they take something they put a mark by that item and then when they go to the grocery store they buy all the things that have marks by them to replace what they took. Then they print off a new list and start over. I think we all just need to sit down and make a list of what our family would needs for months and keep it updated. But I don't even do it myself, so I really don't know how to begin. I could use some ideas myself :)

SueAnn said...

I feel the same way. I am not nearly as prepared as I want to be. I have a neighbor who does something similar to what natalie said only the just write down what they take out of the storage and put marks next to it for how many they take and then when they go to the store they just tear that sheet off and take it to the store. I am always up for new ideas!!!

JANEAL said...

Sis- You just need to talk to my husband and he'll get you in line with your food storage...you know how he is when it comes to food storage. I think we have plenty so I guess if you are starving I might think about sharing with you :)

C.B. said...

Thanks so much for your comment. Your family is so cute! I am also worried about food storage...We live in a townhouse...So my pantry is the only space I have for storage.I have just barely started saving our old liter pop bottles and filling them with water.
I also know there are are storage kits you can buy at any distrubution center with all the essentials. I am going to buy a few of those.

emily said...

hey nichelle. its emily what cute girls you have. hey i have some great websites for food storage. we got some that only takes water to cook and has a shelf life of 50 plus years and my kids loved the food when we tried it which is my number one goal. they are meals that you dont have to add anything to and think okay i have wheat to grind but what am i going to make with it. let me know if you are interested. emily

Brenda said...

I try to keep a clipboard in my food storage room, with just a blank sheet of paper on it, I just write down what I take and buy it when I go to the store! I forget all the time, and go down and realize I am running out of a ton of stuff! It's a great plan if I would actually remember to do it!!

Anonymous said...

Uuuh ya. I am no help in this area! I could use any info also. You probably have more food storage than I do, PLUS you have a wood burning stove which I really want because you never know...

Robison's said...

Hi,
I noticed you looked at my blog so I decided to take a peak at yours.
My Husband and I have been talking about getting our food storage also. We are farmers and he said that with the price of food going up so fast that people will end up living off there food storage, he also said that there is a food shortage that's why the price of grain and hay are so high.
Tannis